Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Cartoon Vault: (Parking) Peace in Our Time

The Daily Tribune - October 2, 1994
The Royal Oak Historical Society has honored me by adding a feature to the ROHS quarterly member newsletter titled "The Cartoon Vault." The Vault runs selected editorial cartoons of mine from The Daily Tribune dating back 25-30 years. I thought this one (from "only" 23 years ago) was particularly timely, with former President Carter's recent offer to travel to North Korea to begin a rational dialogue rather than escalate the Twitter War.

A reminder, just in case you don't remember this local issue from 1994: Former President Jimmy Carter had firmly established his post-presidency legacy as a global mediator and peace maker. In this cartoon, I wondered if his expertise might have been able to bring peace to the dispute over parking in downtown Royal Oak – the cost, limited availability and strict (some would say over the top) enforcement. Well, Mr. Carter never came to Royal Oak, and 23 years later, the debate continues.

I want to thank the ROHS for opening the Vault and sharing these cartoon memories with its members. Additionally, I want to thank State Representative Jim Ellison and Jodie Ellison for making the winning bid on this original during the silent auction at the ROHS Annual Dinner Gala on October 20. The ROHS appreciates your support, and I'm flattered that you wanted it!

And, while I'm thanking people, I want to thank all my colleagues from those wonderful years at The Daily Tribune - the reporters, whose stories inspired me and the editors who helped me refine my work. I love you all, and I loved that time together.
That's the Point!

No comments:

Post a Comment