Wednesday, July 27, 2011

CARTOON of the DAY: Closing the Books

Crain's Detroit Business - July 25
The final closing of the stores in the Borders Books chain is emotionally wrenching. Personally, Borders has been a part of my life for 30 years. Visits to Borders were always eventful - if I was looking for a particular book, I'd always find several others as well. I could hold them, flip the pages, smell the ink-on-paper ... a total sensual and psychological experience. As my son and daughters grew up, the visits became family events and we enhanced the experience by sharing it. I'm certain we'll shift our visits to the surviving chain book store, and we'll continue to visit the wonderful little independent book stores around town, but I have the feeling I need to savor every one of those moments because they may not be experiences I can share with my grandchildren.
That's the Point!

No comments:

Post a Comment