Tuesday, April 20, 2010

CARTOON of the WEEK: (Not) Ready for takeoff?

Crain's Detroit Business - April 19
Detroit Metropolitan Airport is a remarkably efficient operation and may be only fully appreciated by someone like me, who regularly travels with all their personal care products in a quart bag and a comfortable pair of shoes that are easy to slip off and on. Believe me, compared to many other major airports from New Jersey to Mumbai, "DTW" is a gem! That's why it's so important that the authority that runs the place gets a new contract inked with the manager who's responsible - Lester Robinson.
That's the Point!

Off the Drawing Board: My first concept drawing for this cartoon was two-dimensional and the gag was, frankly, flat and uninspired. I thought of the gag that made it into print while sitting in bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic. I sent the idea to Jennette Smith, my editor at Crain's Detroit Business from my BlackBerry - no I didn't text and drive, it was rush hour. The three-dimensional drawing of the plane gave the image some visual drama, to support the improved punchline.


No comments:

Post a Comment