Wednesday, October 21, 2009

CARTOON of the WEEK - Turning Around the City of Detroit: Like Coaching the Lions

Crain's Detroit Business - October 19

I don't think there's a more challenging mayoral job in the United States right now, than Mayor Dave Bing faces in Detroit. The legacy of his predicessor and the current economy only exacerbate the situation. His suggestions, options and proposed solutions to the various urgent problems facing his administration are met, at every turn, with obstacles and objections from political opponents, unions and others. With all this going on at City Hall, just about two miles away, new Lions Coach Jim Schwartz faces similar problems with the city's long-suffering NFL franchise. The parallel is obvious, and sometimes it's not so bad to take a light-hearted look at some difficult situations. Thankfully, my editors at Crain's Detroit Business agreed!
That's the Point!


Off the Drawing Board: This was an alternative idea for the Detroit turnaround cartoon that I presented to my editors at Crain's. Another "double take," but this one playing - obviously, I hope - on a recent national/international news story. In a broad sense, I think I liked this concept a little better; however, the completely local focus of the concept that ran in the October 19 edition was more appropriate to the metro Detroit-focus of CDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment