Sunday, May 16, 2010

CARTOON of the WEEK: Cruisin' Through the Spring and Summer

The News-Herald - May 16
Cruising ... I've loved it since I cruised most Friday and Saturday nights with my buddies in my '67 Mustang, back in the early 1970s. We didn't really go anywhere, we just - well - cruised. That's not entirely true ... sometimes we stopped and got burgers; and sometimes we'd race a Camaro or a Barracuda from one traffic light to the next.

That sometimes got me into trouble - like the time I set a personal record of three tickets in one night - in three different municipalities. I was never ticketed for speeding (there wasn't room from one light to another to really open it up ...), rather I collected tickets for "Unsafe Start from a Traffic Light."
Well, these days, we all spend more time parking than cruising; but the season is gearing up (pun intended!) and soon we'll be gathering at local cruise nights at pubs and drive-ins, Cruisin' Downriver, getting ready to for the annual Telegraph Cruiz, and taking the annual Dream Cruise on Woodward in August.

I'm working on a blog about cruising - past and present - for "Downriver Diary" (watch for that soon); but this Sunday, I'm celebrating the opening of the season with this cartoon salute.
That's the Point!

Cartoonist's Note: My '67 Mustang is long gone. These days, I cruise in a Viper Red Dodge 2005 SRT-4 (one of the last built); it's Stage 1 modified, with a Quaff limited slip differential, and 18" alloy wheels. I've hit 118 with it and that's still a long way from redline. And so far, no tickets for speeding or "Unsafe Start from a Traffic Light" - I may be older, but I'm also a little smarter!

No comments:

Post a Comment